There is a risk of accident and personal injury in learning to operate a motorcycle.
This Canada Safety Council Motorcycle Training Program provides classroom instruction, practical motorcycle riding instruction and the M1 Exit riding test.
While most of the course is practical, motorcycle maintenance, defensive driving, risk awareness and rules of the road are also reviewed.
This course provides the use of college motorcycles, fuel and lubricants, expert instruction, written materials, a participant kit and testing and evaluation for your M2 Motorcycle Driver's license. Participants are required to use St. Clair College training bikes for all aspects of this course.
Individuals that successfully complete all instruction and the final test (M1 Exit) will be eligible to receive an M2 license. Canada Safety Council certificates and wallet cards will only be awarded to participants upon successful completion of the training hours AND testing.
*It is mandatory to complete both consecutive days of this course including the M1 Exit test to be eligible for M2 certification or the Motorcycle Retest (MOT 115N) course.*
Pre-requisite: Participants must have a valid M1 Ontario beginner permit 60 days prior to being eligible to upgrade to an M2 license. However, a participant can register and attend this course before the completion of these 60 days. It should be noted that even upon successful completion of this course and testing, participants will be required to complete and follow the restrictions of the M1 Ontario beginner permit for a minimum of 60 days. After 60 days have passed, participants can provide the DriveTest Centre with proof of successful completion of this course. The DriveTest Centre will upgrade the physical driver’s license to M2.
*It is the participant's responsibility to upgrade their license at a DriveTest Centre within 6 months of successful course completion. Course results are invalid after 6 months.
Participants must be 16 years of age or older to enroll in this course. Participants under 18 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian sign a waiver prior to partaking in this course. All participants must sign a course waiver in the presence of a Senior course instructor.
The following items are mandatory to be eligible to participate in this Motorcycle training course:
- Sturdy jacket (leather, denim, or other sturdy materials) and pants (heavy slacks or jeans) - holes are unacceptable. A waterproof jacket is recommended for rainy days - courses run rain or shine.
- Sturdy boots (i.e., riding boots, work boots, hiking boots) or motorcycle shoes that cover and support the ankle *Only closed-toe and flat-heeled shoes/boots are acceptable*
- Full-fingered leather gloves/ full-fingered riding gloves
- *An "Approved" helmet - recommended is a full-face helmet with a face shield. Half helmets and open-face helmets are acceptable however, you cannot use novelty or beanie-type helmets (* exceptions may apply)
- Eye protection - helmet shields, goggles, safety glasses or sunglasses are acceptable. Glasses must be impact resistant.
- A valid Ontario "M1" beginners' motorcycle license
- Safety gear and a valid Ontario “M1” beginner permit will be required at all times for this course.