The Advanced Medical Esthetics Practitioner Graduate Certificate Program will prepare the graduate to work in the progressive field of medical esthetics. The curriculum will provide a strong foundation in the assessment of skin types, conditions and the corresponding treatments for promoting and maintaining healthy skin. Students will gain practical hands-on skills to work within related medical professions in a safe and competent manner within their scope of practice or that of a nurse or physician. Students will develop the knowledge and essential skills necessary to perform non-invasive procedures such as laser and light treatments, chemical peels, hydro facials, and microdermabrasion procedures, as well as the fundamentals necessary to assist with the application of invasive procedures in a cosmetic medical setting. The student will build expertise in delivering pre-and post-treatment care for special populations, including oncology patients. Hands-on labs and clinical placement settings will expose the student to a wide range of medical esthetic treatments, cosmeceutical products and specialized equipment. Students will also graduate with an understanding of the core business principles necessary to establish and manage a medical esthetic practice. Graduates will be well-prepared to administer cosmeceuticals and medical esthetic procedures.
- Focus on theory as well as practical skills.
- Basic business training to allow for entrepreneurship.
- Basic Milano Software training used in Salons and Spas.
- Opportunity to take part in field trips and enhance learning.
- Hands-on experience in College Clinic which is set to mirror a Spa environment.
- Graduates of the Esthetics diploma program are eligible for entry into the Advanced Medical Esthetics Practitioner Graduate Certificate Program.
Graduates will find employment in the health care sector, with physicians, dermatologists and plastic surgeons, private medi-spas/health clubs, wellness clinics and hospital oncology departments.
Graduates from related health care diploma programs, nursing programs or the esthetics diploma can ladder into this program.
Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree, or equivalent in a relevant healthcare field such as Esthetics, RN or RPN from a recognized college or university, or extensive documented experience in esthetics or dermatology. A current resume outlining your education and experience related to medical esthetics which includes references and applicant profile form is required.
Applicants are required to have the following completed prior to the start of the fall semester. Applicants are responsible for the associated costs.
- All medical forms
- Standard First Aid (online courses are NOT acceptable)
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Level C with AED (online courses are not acceptable)
- CLEAR POLICE CLEARANCE (vulnerable sector screening)
- MUST be obtained by the student.
- Medical Requirements Form
- A satisfactory medical exam.
- An up-to-date immunization record including tetanus and diphtheria, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B (incl. Hep B titre within the last 24 months) and TB skin test.
This is a HIGH-INTEREST program and has the potential to become oversubscribed. Applicants are advised to apply before February 1st. See Admission Procedures for details.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
Program Physical Demands Analysis
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Advanced Medical Esthetics Practitioner (Ontario College Graduate Certificate) (MTCU Code 73403)
The successful completion of this program will enable the graduate to:
- Develop and facilitate inter- and intra-professional relationships with estheticians, medical estheticians, and other medical practitioners to enhance personal work performance and improve patient care.
- Adhere to relevant health, safety, sanitation, infection, and prevention control guidelines, according to current federal, provincial regulations and industry standards when administering esthetic protocols.
- Apply anatomical, physiological and histological knowledge to the development and delivery of medical esthetic treatments and care plans.
- Evaluate, implement, and modify medical esthetic treatment plans and procedures by accounting for contraindications associated with oncology patients and oncological treatments.
- Use critical thinking and problem-solving when developing and delivering medical esthetic treatments and care plans.
- Evaluate and conduct a variety of medical esthetic procedures that support the health and wellbeing needs of typical and special population patients following correct practices and procedures.
- Operate and maintain a range of specialized equipment, including light and laser-based devices, while performing medical esthetic treatments according to the manufacturer’s specifications, direction, and legislative standards.
- Apply business principles to establish and maintain a medical esthetic practice.
- Develop informed consents and pre-post plan of care treatment documents for medical esthetic procedures using appropriate medical terminology in accordance with ethical guidelines and professional protocols.
- Utilize a range of esthetic and cosmeceutical products within a medical practice to achieve the desired dermatological condition.