The Advanced Medical Esthetics Practitioner Graduate Certificate Program will prepare the graduate to work in the progressive field of medical esthetics. The curriculum will provide a strong foundation for the assessment of skin types, conditions, and the corresponding treatments for promoting and maintaining healthy skin utilizing advanced technology, products, and devices. Students will gain practical hands-on skills to work within related medical professions in a safe and competent manner within their scope of practice or that of a nurse or physician. Students will develop the knowledge and essential skills necessary to perform non-invasive procedures such as laser and light-energy treatments, a variety of chemical peels, hydro facials, and microdermabrasion procedures, as well as the fundamentals necessary to assist with the application of invasive procedures in a cosmetic medical setting. The student will build expertise in delivering pre-and post-treatment care for special populations, including oncology patients. Graduates will be well-prepared to administer cosmeceuticals and medical esthetic procedures.
- Focus on theory, as well as practical skills within a state-of-the-art lab.
- Comprehensive treatment protocols with industry-relevant procedures and use/knowledge of devices, including an energy-based device with 4 platforms, including IPL, Radio Frequency, Infrared, and Laser.
- Opportunity to take part in field trips and additional certificate training, such as Dermaplaning, Micro-needling, and Oncology Esthetics.
- Hands-on experience in College Medi Spa, set to mirror the industry, focusing on cosmetic procedures and retail sales.
- Business Management training with an understanding of core business principles, to establish and manage a medical esthetic practice.
- Graduates of the Esthetics diploma program are eligible for entry into the Advanced Medical Esthetics Practitioner Graduate Certificate Program.
Graduates have the benefit of excellent employment prospects both locally and internationally, including cruise ships and resorts. Employment opportunities in a variety of venues, from spas, salons, health and wellness centers, make-up artistry, nail care centers, and retail beauty outlets, as well as working within Cosmetic practices.
Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, Degree, or equivalent in a relevant healthcare field such as Esthetics, RN or RPN from a recognized college or university, or extensive documented experience in esthetics or dermatology. A current resume outlining your education and experience related to medical esthetics which includes references and an applicant profile form is required.
- Medical Requirements Form
- A satisfactory medical exam.
- An up-to-date immunization record including tetanus and diphtheria, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella(chickenpox), Hepatitis B (incl. Hep B Titre within the last 24 months) and TB skin test.
This is a HIGH-INTEREST program and has the potential to become oversubscribed. Applicants are advised to apply before February 1st. See Admission Procedures for details.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
Please be aware that although a COVID-19 vaccination is not required to attend St. Clair College, some of our placement sites may require students to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 to be eligible to attend. Unfortunately, we cannot predict if a placement site will begin to require full vaccination and as such, we are encouraging all students to consider vaccination. If the requirement of your placement sites changes at any point, you will be notified immediately by the College.
It is important to note that if placement sites do require students to be fully vaccinated to attend their place of business, students who are not fully vaccinated cannot be provided with a placement for their program and therefore will not be able to complete their programs.
If you have any questions about the COVID-19 vaccines, please contact our St. Clair College Health Centre at 519-972-2727 ext. 4484 (in Windsor) or 519-354-9100 ext. 3729 (in Chatham).
Employers who provide our field placement settings require a clear POLICE RECORD CHECK for criminal offences with vulnerable sector screening before accepting a student into the field placement setting. The record check MUST be obtained by the student at the student's expense.
PRIOR TO THE FIRST SEMESTER
Due September 15th
- All medical forms - Medical Requirements Form.
- A satisfactory medical exam.
- Clear Police Clearance (Vulnerable Sector Screening).
- Standard First Aid (online courses are NOT acceptable).
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Level C with AED (online courses NOT acceptable).
- An up-to-date immunization record including tetanus and diphtheria, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella(chickenpox), Hepatitis B (incl. Hep B Titre within the last 24 months), and TB skin test.
Program Physical Demands Analysis
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Advanced Medical Esthetics Practitioner (Ontario College Graduate Certificate) (MTCU Code 73403)
The successful completion of this program will enable the graduate to:
- Develop and facilitate inter- and intra-professional relationships with estheticians, medical estheticians, and other medical practitioners to enhance personal work performance and improve patient care.
- Adhere to relevant health, safety, sanitation, infection, and prevention control guidelines, according to current federal, provincial regulations and industry standards when administering esthetic protocols.
- Apply anatomical, physiological and histological knowledge to the development and delivery of medical esthetic treatments and care plans.
- Evaluate, implement, and modify medical esthetic treatment plans and procedures by accounting for contraindications associated with oncology patients and oncological treatments.
- Use critical thinking and problem-solving when developing and delivering medical esthetic treatments and care plans.
- Evaluate and conduct a variety of medical esthetic procedures that support the health and wellbeing needs of typical and special population patients following correct practices and procedures.
- Operate and maintain a range of specialized equipment, including light and laser-based devices, while performing medical esthetic treatments according to the manufacturer’s specifications, direction, and legislative standards.
- Apply business principles to establish and maintain a medical esthetic practice.
- Develop informed consents and pre-post plan of care treatment documents for medical esthetic procedures using appropriate medical terminology in accordance with ethical guidelines and professional protocols.
- Utilize a range of esthetic and cosmeceutical products within a medical practice to achieve the desired dermatological condition.